Why Animex® fencing?
The only purpose-built wildlife fencing products for reptiles, amphibians and small mammals
We believe in implementing easy and effective fit-for-purpose solutions. As a collaborative team of biologists, engineers, and contractors we understand how animals behave and move and how a project should run.
Animal safe (no mesh)
Water flow functionality
Made from recycled & recyclable materials
Extremely durable (weather & vegetation cutting)
Commonly used materials
Many types of construction materials are commonly used for wildlife fencing but fail to withstand field conditions, are potentially harmful to wildlife and are designed for an entirely different purpose.
- Easily damaged / Low durability
- Animals can see-through
- Risk of entanglement
- No product guarantee or customer support
- Animals can climb
- Non-recoverable: becomes trash in the landscape
- Low UV resistance
- Extremely high maintenance costs
- Flase suitability claims
- Unknown manufacture origins
- Vegetation becomes entangled
- Slow-rate of movement along the barrier (drift fencing)
- Corrosion / degradation / rust
- Can not withstand slow loading
Making the right decision...
Explore some of the science that influences our designs, approach & products.
- "Tortoises along the (wire mesh) fence experienced more extreme upper temperatures that approached the species' thermal limit."
J. Mark Peaden et al.
- "Snapping turtle climbs fence to get to a pond the other side..."
Watch on Youtube
- "We found that the (erosion control) products are a hazard to snakes and possibly other wildlife..."
C. D. Barton & K. Kinkead
- "Turtles moved at a slower rate when traveling along a translucent barrier, compared to an opaque one."
P. Sievert & D. Yorks
- "Numerous accounts of entanglement in a variety of materials have been reported including wire"
J. M. Kapfer et al.
- "Red-legged Frogs, Northwestern Salamanders and Rough-skinned Newts were able to climb further up the walls of the plastic mesh than the other materials."
The SPLAT Project Amphibian Tunnel
- "Mesh netting would certainly cause death from constriction of vital organs and/or infection."
Journal of Kansas Herpetology
- "The vinyl-coated metal (mesh fence) design was somewhat less effective than the wooden barrier, because it was easier for some animals to climb"
Animex® - Tried & tested wildlife barriers
The unique features of our eco-fencing range have enabled contractors, engineers, project managers, farmers, and biologists to implement effective wildlife control measures on an extensive range of projects.
All our fencing products and installation guides adhere to, and influence, environmental regulatory policy across the world.
Popular species Animex fencing is used for across North America:
Special Status Species (SSS) - Species At Risk (SAR) - Threatened & Endangered
- California tiger salamander Ambystoma californiense
- Yosemite toad Anaxyrus canorus
- Arroyo toad Anaxyrus californicus
- Alameda whipsnake Masticophis lateralis euryxanthus
- Giant garter snake Thamnophis gigas
- San Francisco garter snake Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia
- Blunt-nosed leopard lizard Gambelia silus
- Dunes sagebrush lizard Sceloporus arenicolus
- Western chorus frog Pseudacris triseriata
- California red-legged frog Rana draytonii
- Salt marsh harvest mouse Reithrodontomys raviventris
- Giant kangaroo rat Dipodomys ingens
- Mohave ground squirrel Xerospermophilus mohavensis
- Desert tortoise Gopherus agassizii
- Western chorus frog Pseudacris triseriata
- Northern leopard frog Lithobates pipiens
- Fowler’s toad Anaxyrus fowleri
- Western toad Anaxyrus boreas
- Jefferson salamander Ambystoma jeffersonianum
- Eastern tiger salamander Ambystoma tigrinum
- Blanding’s turtle Emydoidea blandingii
- Painted turtle Chrysemys picta
- Snapping turtle Chelydra serpentina
- Eastern foxsnake Pantherophis gloydi
- Massasauga Sistrurus catenatus
- Gray ratsnake Pantherophis spiloides
No mesh or net that traps animals
Silt, mesh and hardware cloth fencing have been proven to fatally injure wildlife and also allow animals to pass through or climb over them. The solid plastic Animex eco-fence ensures it will not harm animals and prevents animals from entering areas where they could be exposed to harm.
Proven to be more effective than other fences
Multiple studies have demonstrated that the features of Animex fences are far more suitable to be used with wildlife than other options.
The high opacity of the fence eliminates dangerous pacing behaviors and encourages animals to move away from unwanted or dangerous areas much quicker than other general construction materials.
Withstands the impact of weather & vegetation management
We ensure all our UV-resistant fencing materials will withstand the impacts of both temporary and permanent projects in a wide variety of climates. Whether it's heavy snow, vegetation clearance, or accidental damage, the integrity of Animex fencing will help to significantly reduce maintenance costs.
It can also stand up to vegetation clearance along the fence when mesh, silt, and hardware cloth fencing can't!
The only fence animals can't climb
Animex is the only fencing with built-in anti-climb technology to prevent animals from climbing over into unwanted or dangerous areas.
Other fencing materials act like ladders and are unsuitable for use with a wide range of wildlife. This unique feature deters animals from climbing and enables you to use lower fence heights and eradicate impractical large top overhangs.
Quick project turnarounds
We understand the time constraints of a project so we have created easy-to-follow installation guides and videos to make your life easier.
Our team is also on hand to offer any on-site support or design adjustments you may need.
Protection against storm water & aquatic environments
Animex can allow water to pass through small perforations to prevent washouts during extreme weather events meaning less maintenance is required.
The size of the holes has been designed to prevent any small or juvenile animals from being able to climb or become trapped within the fence as they are known to do in mesh or wire products.